October 20, 2010

I'm Ready for a Bumper Sticker!

It still amazes me just how much things change when you become a parent. All those judgments and "I'll never..." statements I made pre-kid are now coming back to haunt me. The latest example...bumper stickers. Every time I saw a mom-mobile driving by with "My Child is Student of the Month" at so and so elementary school I giggled. I used to be like "big deal, what kid isn't at some point in their lives?" Well, my friends, that whole thought changed when I walked up to KK's classroom at school and saw this...
(it's a blurry picture because I was embarrassed to take it...I was trying to be sly to sneak in a snapshot)



SAY WHAT? My daughter is student of the month?!?! OMG! I am so proud. SO SO proud!!! Then I read the description:

Kaylynn was noticed using sign language to say "more, please and thank you" during snack time. Wow, Kaylynn! That is fantastic.

It may not be a big deal to anyone else at the school, but boy oh boy, it sure was a big deal to me. Feeling proud of your kid is just the best feeling ever. I am so proud that she uses her manners, not only at home, but at school too! We started teaching her to sign very early on, and while it's seemed to delay some of her verbal skills, it has it's bonuses because KK was able to communicate with us at about 9 months. Some people judge me for teaching her sign language, but to me, it's a form of communication so as long as she is signing (even though she isn't talking), I feel as though she is still on track (developmentally wise).

So anyways, we are very proud of our little girl and both of us would totally rock a bumper sticker that reads "Our Child is Student of the Month at Valley Child Care & Learning Center."

While we are on the subject of school, KK had her school pictures taken a couple weeks ago. I thought she would get a class picture, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Instead a photographer came to KK's school and took some portraits. They didn't come out very cute (probably because I'm distracted by KK's mullet) but I ended up buying the collage.

Here is her very first school picture!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, school pictures already. SHe is a big kid now. You s hould be proud. I think KK deserves a special celebration dinner. Have you ever heard of the red plate traditin. I may do it. You can buy or make the special plate.

    ReplyDelete