September 11, 2009

Boston or Bust!

Our trip to Boston was an absolute blast!! We left Saturday morning, and when we woke up that morning, it was raining! It rarely rains in Phoenix, but it figures, that when we are actually planning to fly somewhere, there would be weather! We got to the airport and the lady at the ticket counter told me that I needed Kaylynn's birth certificate, which of course, I did not have. I had no clue I was supposed to bring it! She was a very nice lady and still gave Kaylynn a boarding pass and told me that I would need it for the return trip, so I had to call my mom and have her email me a copy (turns out, they didn't even ask for it on the return trip). While I was starting to panic about not having her birth certificate some alarm at the airport went off. Lights were flashing and an obnoxious alarm started going off. The lady at the ticket counter was like "oh great, the alarm!" I asked what it meant and she said "I'm not sure yet." Comforting, right?


After about 10 minutes or so, the alarm went off. We proceeded to security (a headache of its own), fed Kaylynn and boarded the plane. Apparently Southwest will allow elderly people to board the plane first, but not families with small children. They board between the A's & B's. I, again, was stressing about that. I started doing the math and figured at least 60 people got to board before us and was nervous that we wouldn't be able to sit together! When we got on the plane it was mostly empty. I decided to head straight for the very last row assuming we would annoy the least amount of people in the back of the plane. We actually sat in the same row for all 4 flights of our trip. Both flights on the way to Boston were not full, so the seat between us was available for Kaylynn. After about a 20 minute lightning delay on the runway, we were finally off!

I followed some advice of other mom's and fed Kaylynn a bottle on takeoff and that seemed to prevent her from feeling too much pressure in her ears. Throughout the first flight (about 4 hours) Kaylynn sat in daddy's lap...


...played with the 8 month old sitting across the aisle from us, pounded on the tray table and seat in front of us...

...tried eating the Sky Mall and finally took a nap. We tried to make her fall asleep in the middle seat but she wanted nothing to do with it. If she sees us, she will not sleep. So I layed down some thick blankets on the floor, hung the mobile from the seat pocket and made a very comfy bed for Kaylynn.

She ended up sleeping for an hour and a half! Once we landed in Chicago I felt very relieved that she didn't make one peep the entire flight.

The next flight she was pretty good, but again, she really enjoyed her bed on the floor. Toward the end of the flight she was starting to get fussy. Overall, the plane ride to Boston wasn't horrible, but it was very stressful. I even had to type out a new schedule so that I could adjust Kaylynn's feeding times to the takeoffs/landings (for her ears) as well as the 3 hour time change! Yes, I'm that anal.

No comments:

Post a Comment