October 23, 2009

9 Months

Kaylynn went for her 9 month appointment today. First things first, the fun stuff!

-16 lbs 9 oz. (20th percentile )
-26” long (10th percentile)
-17 ¾” head circumference (90th percentile) She is still our bobblehead munchkin!

When I go to these appointments I have to brace myself. Dr. Campbell is very "to the point" and pretty much gives me a list of everything I have to do and/or work on in the next 3 months, but I swear, she goes through it so quickly that I tend to forget what she said. It's so much information!!

Here is the skinny on what I remember...

Dr. Campbell praised us for how good of a sleeper Kaylynn is and said we are EXTREMELY lucky that we have such an awesome sleeper. On average she sleeps 12 hours a night and takes two 1 1/2-2 hour naps a day with the occasional 30-45 minute catnap in the evening. Kaylynn tends to take her time with reaching milestones and Dr. Campbell said that could be because she is a good sleeper and is just more relaxed about it. Other people say it was because she was early and tiny. Who knows? All I know is that I am in NO hurry for her to start crawling! Lonna said KK was scooting backwards this week so that might be the first stage of crawling. She still does not have any teeth yet, and there don't appear to be any "bumps" on the gums. She can sit up by herself and has become a rolling machine lately! It's a glimpse of what is to come with crawling. If I lay her down on some blankets and walk away, she is never where I left her. Usually she rolls herself off the blankets onto the wood floors (which I would think would hurt, but she doesn't seem to mind).

Kaylynn got the Hib and flu shots today. She took the Hib really well and only cried for about 5 seconds. The flu was a different story. She did not like that! I got my flu shot today too. Now it's Ty's turn!

I asked about starting finger foods and teething biscuits but Dr. Campbell suggested waiting a bit, at least a month. Kaylynn has a hard time with textured foods and often gags and throws up on even the tiniest chunk! I try to make my food a little thicker but she still gags! She initially gagged on the rice cereal and oatmeal and so we completely took that out of her diet. Dr. Campbell says that we need to incorporate that back into her diet and mix in a little cereal/oatmeal with her fruit so she starts gaining some weight (weird because I thought Kaylynn was chunky!). We have the green light to start meats and she suggested giving Kaylynn chicken. Obviously I have to puree it (which is weird and gross) but there is no way she will eat it if it's chunky. So I think I'll try putting some chicken in my vitamix tonight and see how it goes. I'll probably mix it with some veggies. Kaylynn LOVES her veggies. She doesn't love fruit, and will only eat apples and pears, but will eat any veggie I give her. I'm having fun making all sorts of squashes right now! Tis' the season. We also have the green light for baby yogurt called Yo Baby. Dr. Campbell stressed the importance of starting the sippy cup, so we will try to incorporate "sippy cup time" into her daily schedule. She said that if we can get her used to the sippy cup before we start whole milk at 12 months, then it will be a much easier transition for us. So our goal is to get her to drink 2 ounces of water out of her sippy cup for now and work up to 8 ounces a day. We are going to wait to incorporate whole milk until after her 12 month appointment. I'll work on meats and sippy cup for the next 3 months. Phhhhew, I think that's it and if not, oh well!

Every night I try to take the girls for a walk. Pepper is finally warming up to Kaylynn which is so nice. Kaylynn really loves watching Pepper on the walks.

This weekend we have a VERY busy weekend. Tomorrow we are going to take her 9 month photos then we are headed to Schnepf farms with Amanda and Courtney. Amanda is due any day now. Hopefully sooner than later! Then on Sunday we are going to Turf Paradise to watch the ponies for a friend's birthday. I love horse racing!! I will be sure to take a ton of pictures this weekend so stay tuned for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Gemma will not be eating meats until she is ready for them as finger foods. I just can't bring myself to purée them. You r stronger than me!

    ReplyDelete