I used to judge parents all the time thinking "I will NEVER do that if I ever have a kid." I eat my words just about every day. I've learned a lot as a parent and I'm not sure I'll ever stop learning. I was at Costco last night with KK doing some grocery shopping. I had to work late so I couldn't go before I picked her up from school, so I picked her up right before 6pm (when they close) and braved Costco with her in tow. I try my best to never take her with me because, honestly, it's a nightmare. You know that kid in the grocery cart screaming and yelling and the mom is walking around like they don't even hear it...yeah...that's me. I didn't have a choice this time so I had to roll with the punches. Let's rewind. That morning when I woke her up to go to school she had a ring pop (still in it's package) in her hand. I have no clue where she got that but I'm learning as of late that she is a hoarder. I found a pile of goldfish in her bed, under her sheets. I found a package of fruit snacks in her bed too. I am always finding something in her bed...usually food. Awesome. My mom tells me that I used to put pickles in ziplocks and hide them under my bed. So I guess the food hoarding runs in the family. So glad she got that trait from me. Anyways, she woke up and wanted the ring pop. I said no. After battling with her for a while I finally caved and said she could have it on the way home from school. She was okay with that. Pheeew. I was hoping she'd forget about it but unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. This kid remembers everything (as I'm sure most kids do). It honestly amazes me. The second I put her in the carseat she was asking for that damn ring pop. I couldn't go back on my word and I knew I had to run to Costco so I figured it would buy me some time to grocery shop. I opened it up and gave it to her. Costco went off without a hitch and KK decided she wanted a slice of pizza for dinner. I wanted a soda so I got one. We had our dinner together and as we were walking out KK was trailing behind me. I was trying to get her to hurry up but she was going very slow. As I turn around I see her...she's holding (and drinking) the soda and is wearing her mostly eaten ring pop. Right then it dawned on me that I had inadvertently become THAT parent. A 2 year old with a soda and candy. Wow. Never thought that would happen. The things we do to survive as parents of toddlers.
Never thought I'd have a messy faced kid...but I do. A sticky messy faced ring pop wearing toddler.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
dont worry - you're in good company :-)
ReplyDelete