October 24, 2011

Oak Creek Canyon Camping Expedition

I've been wanting to take KK up north ever since she was born but we just haven't had a free weekend to do so.  After summer came and went, I made it a point to block off one weekend this fall and go up north.  No ifs, ands or buts.  I had to turn down several commitments but it was well worth it.  We headed up to Oak Creek Canyon in Sedona on Friday after work and came back Sunday.  We didn't have reservations so we were just hoping we'd find a site.  Sure enough we did.  We had to set up camp in the dark but we did just fine.

KK danced around the campsite while we set up the tent.



We woke up the next morning and KK enjoyed "white ones" (powder sugar donut holes) while watching some morning cartoons.  (Yes...we brought the iPad...but we slept on the ground without an air mattress so I think those cancel each other out on "roughing it").


After breakfast we went for a hike by the stream and got some great pictures.







After nap we went for another hike and enjoyed the pretty scenery.






This was our view from the tent!

That night we made smores over the campfire.  Kaylynn had a few bites but wasn't that interested.  She was getting frustrated with the sticky marshmallow.


Sunday morning we packed up and headed back to town.  The weather got down to 31 at night so it was quite chilly but we survived.  I think KK might have gotten a slight cold but she seems to be getting better.


I'm so thankful to live so close to such beauty. We really need to visit more often.  It's only a 2 hour drive!  Plus it was nice having time away from the hustle and bustle of Phoenix with my main squeeze.  I love my family!





No comments:

Post a Comment