I thought we were in the clear with winter sickness. The weather has been warming up here and KK had seemed to dodge just about every bug that was going around...until that is, she came in contact with RSV (Really Sh!tty Virus). I'm typically the mom who waits until the very last second to take her to the doctor. First because I don't want to go and have the doctor tell me she's fine and also because it's really hard getting time off work for both me and Ty. Over the weekend KK seemed just fine. We had a playdate with the Ghaemmaghamis on Saturday and on Sunday I ran in a half marathon so Ty and KK just relaxed at home. I noticed she was a bit lazy and had a slight fever when I got home from the run but figured she'd sleep it off. Luckily Ty had Monday off so he stayed home with her just to give her an extra day rest. Her temperature was between 102-104 that day/night but was easily controlled by tylenol/motrin. Unfortunately she did not sleep. Tuesday morning she woke up and her temp was 106.9. We could NOT get her to stop crying. It scared the crap out of me so I ended up taking her in. Sure enough, she was sick! One of her tubes fell out so she had an ear infection and they swabbed her for RSV and the flu. That was a terrifying experience for us both. I have been told it doesn't hurt so that makes me feel better but I had to pin the poor girl down while the nurse stuck a 4 inch mascara wand up her nose...all the way up! I didn't know anything could go that far up. I got a call that day from the doctor's office saying the results came back clear. I later found out the "swab" results came back clear but the "culture" results weren't in. I had no idea there was a difference. "All clear" to me meant she was not contagious. Luckily we were able to take off the next few days and stay home with her. She was so pathetic. She couldn't eat. She coughed so much she'd throw up (phlegm). She got so weak that she couldn't stand up. When we weighed her at the doctor's office she was only 25 pounds...barely! It was honestly the sickest I've ever seen her. Usually I can handle her sick because she is what I call "easy sick." (You know...turn on the cartoons, make a sick bed and let her sleep all day so you can be productive with chores around the house). Not so much. She required 24 hour attention. We had to sleep in her bed and on her floor. She'd yell "owie" ALL NIGHT LONG. I felt so bad but there was nothing we could really do. The fact that she has asthma made it that much worse. She finally got some strength back on Thursday and was pretty much 100% on Friday so we sent her to daycare. I got a call that night from the doctor saying that she was positive for RSV. Oh great...I sent her to daycare with RSV???? After I a panic attack to the doctor over the phone, she informed me that she was NOT contagious so that made me feel better but I still had to get a note from the doctor so that daycare had it on file. A week later she's finally healthy (but still having troubles with her asthma). Unfortunately we weren't able to prevent KK from spreading RSV to her friends. Poor baby Kian has it now. Sorry Ghaemmaghami family! :(
Here are some pictures of KK I took during her sick days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Poor baby! And I bet you and Tyson were exhausted too! No fun!
ReplyDeleteglad she's all better...mine are too!
ReplyDelete