December 5, 2009

Little Miss Independent

I've been working endlessly on trying to introduce Kaylynn into finger foods and she just isn't having it. She will eat crackers and such, but if it's real food, forget it. I've tried pears, mashed potatoes (which isn't even a finger food), Cheerios, green beans, bananas and avocados. She has rejected them all. I gave her some grated cheese this week and she handled that just fine, but she has a hard time picking it up off the tray. I went to one of my favorite websites wholesomebabyfood.com and realized that I am way behind on introducing new foods to KK. So I made a list, went to the grocery store and pureed away tonight. I have broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, blueberries and cantaloupe! I also picked up some low sodium Ritz, graham crackers, yogurt, apple sauce, colby cheese and cream cheese. I plan on experimenting over the next couple of days. I'm super excited to start trying new things! I'm also going to attempt to add a third "meal" to her day. Right now she does 4 bottles and 2 meals. For her "lunch" today, she had a graham cracker and vanilla yogurt. She really enjoyed the graham cracker and even was taking bites of it!



I also read that she is supposed to start feeding herself. The website gave me tricks on how to to teach her to feed herself and so I had a bowl of thick oatmeal and gave her the bowl and spoon, and here is what happened...

Pretty good if you ask me. :) I'll keep on working on it, but as of now, I'm just glad she can hold the spoon and find her mouth!

If you notice in the picture above, she has 2 teeth on the bottom. Much to my surprise, I found yet another tooth today! (Actually, Ty did, but same diff) It's up top and pretty far to the right. Not exactly the place I was looking. ;) So far, we have 3 teeth! Yay for teeth! Boo for crankiness that comes with teeth. :(

2 comments:

  1. Gemma has a hard time picking up banana and avocado so I roll it in wheat germ!!! Much easier to pick up and a great added health benefit. She has been eating lunch for a couple months now. She would eat all day if she could.

    Make sure the Graham crackers do not have honey. Vanilla wafers are good too. Try sweet potato cubes with cinnamon. You can make a bunch and freeze them

    Have you tried pastina? That will add a new texture

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, you are such a good momma! keeping your kaykay on schedule! i bet most moms don't even pay attention to this stuff. when i have a baby you'll have to give me lessons! :)

    (aunt cass)

    ReplyDelete