January 23, 2009

The Arrival of Kaylynn

Friday, January 23rd, I was on my way to work and stopped by the gas station to get gas and my water broke while I was mid pump (right around 8:30 a.m.). I shut off the gas, got into my car and went home. I made a phone call to Tyson to let him know and then called my doctor. She told me to go to the hospital and so I gathered up all of our bags and waited for Tyson to get home. I was kinda slow moving, so we didn't end up getting to the hospital until 10:30 a.m., but since I wasn't having any labor pains, I really wasn't in a hurry. I then called my mom and told her to start making the drive over from California.


When I got to the hospital they tested to make sure it was indeed my water that broke, and the test came back positive. Then they checked to see how dilated I was, and I was still only at 1cm. They immediately put me on pitocin to try to get me to progress. After a couple of hours, I still wasn't progressing, but they wanted to move me to labor and delivery. I was feeling a little crampy but not too bad. I wanted to ask for the epidural but decided to wait because I thought it might be too early. I made the walk over to labor and delivery and within minutes the labor pains started coming on strong. My pulse had dropped to 42 and my blood pressure was high. My doctor came in to check me and I was 4 cm dilated. She asked me if I wanted my epidural and I immediately said yes. About 45 minutes went by and I still didn't have my epidural and the pains were getting so bad, all I could do was cry. I sent Tyson out to look for my nurse to see how much longer it would take for the epidural and apparently Dr. Grade never told the nurse I wanted one. The anesthesiologist was in the middle of a c section so they said it would take a while longer. Meanwhile, Dr. Grade put an internal fetal monitor in me to check on Kaylynn's progress. She wasn't moving enough and wasn't tolerating labor (I was contracting too much), so they took me off the pitocin to see if that helped. Finally the anesthesiologist showed up and I got my epidural. Boy did that make me happy! Dr. Grade came back in around 4:00pm to check my progress and Kaylynn still wasn't doing good and neither was I, so she decided to do a c section. A little after 5:00pm, they wheeled me over to the operating room and by 5:41pm little Kaylynn was here! The c section itself was really neat and so quick. The only problem is that they pumped so many fluids in me, I ballooned up and was swollen everywhere. When they gave me Kaylynn to hold, I couldn't even see her because my eyes were so swollen.









No comments:

Post a Comment